Sunday, March 12, 2017

A simple touch

This week we had the opportunity to take a family that was here for a "Come and See" weekend to a nursing home for a morning of service.  I always love taking the kids in to the nursing homes because by just being there, the kids bring so much joy.  I got a kick out of watching an elderly gentleman play a game with MJ where he would point at her and she would just erupt in to giggles.  The residents would naturally gravitate toward the kids when they would see them, and conversations were easy to start when they see our family.

The visit that left the biggest impression on my heart though was visiting Ms. "Alice."  We knew before walking in to her room that she was almost completely blind.  When we went in she had a sweet, peaceful smile on her face.  While we talked, she did not turn toward us but would always keep her face pointed toward the fluorescent light fixture on the ceiling.  It was tough to start a conversation because the kids short one word "Hello" as we introduced them didn't fill much time.  Then Josh and I worked on having a conversation with her about her life while MJ and Naomi worked on drawing pictures like they did for the other residents we visited.  Conversation limped along for a little bit until the girls finished their pictures.  


Once Naomi finished, she crumpled the picture, then gave it to me to give to Ms. Alice.  Ms. Alice apologized and said she couldn't see the picture, and it seemed like she wouldn't accept it.  I assured her it was ok that she couldn't see it, but that I could explain the picture to her.  I took her hand and I described the colors Naomi used  Then I traced her hand along the lines of the pictures helping her to "see" what was on he paper.  As I took her hand in mine, so much of Ms. Alice's demeanor changed.  She turned her face toward my voice, her body relaxed, and conversation quickly became very easy.

We always say it, but it is incredible to watch the impact of a simple human touch.  It helped her to relax, to "see" what words alone could not show her.  It showed her that we wanted to get past the obstacles that blindness created in communicating with her.  It gave her the chance to encounter us in a very real way.  It gave her the chance to experience the girls and the gift the girls were trying to give.

We saw it at the nursing home, and we saw it time and time again in Mexico...when there is an obstacle to communication, whether it is blindness or language barriers or another obstacle, just a simple touch like the holding of a hand to guide or a hand on a shoulder to comfort or to pray with someone changes everything.



It was such a great reminder that we have a God who knows how much can be said by touch.  He wanted so badly to communicate with us, to show us His love and the things we couldn't understand by words alone that He became man (in Jesus) so that He could be physically present to us.  He wanted to show us His love where we have trouble understanding it.  He became Man so we didn't have to keep just looking up hoping we hear him, but now we can turn our faces toward Him, feel His presence, and know His unending love.    In today's gospel, after the disciples were afraid after seeing the transfigured Christ, "Jesus came and touched them, saying, 'Rise, and do not be afraid.'"   A simple touch can tear down barriers, evaporate fears, and share compassion.  It can free us to encounter Christ, others, and to rise and move forward.




2 comments:

  1. Wow makes me happy to hear your story this week. Thank you for sharing this blog it is such a blessing to read and all you do for building up God's kingdom here on earth. I myself can attest to the simple power of human touch too. I remember one time before going in to work at an internship in Boston, Ma I went to St. Anthony's church to begin the workday in prayer. As I was leaving I encountered this blind man walking who was having trouble finding the Holy Water font. In the moment rather than be indifferent to his needs I placed my hand on the man's back to guide him. That reassuring touch conveyed to him the feeling that he wasn't alone and it brought me to a loss for words. It reminded me that Jesus heals the blind in Matthew 21:14. In those moments when I am dealing with my own spiritual blindness caused by my sin I need to run to Jesus to be healed. May God bless you and your family and my prayers are with you on your journey to spread the joy of the Gospel as God's missionary disciples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful encounter. Thank you for sharing. I'm enjoying your blog. God bless you guys! I love the song too! I'm sharing it it's all my friends.

    ReplyDelete