Sunday, March 5, 2017

Back in the U.S.


We arrived safely in the U.S.   Last Sunday, February 26, we left the mission house early in the morning and drove to the boarder.   Except for a wrong turn near the boarder, we were without incident.  And even the wrong turn was a blessing.   We had to stop and asked some armed-to-the-teeth boarder guards with automatic rifles and full body armor.   Maria and I still haven’t gotten use to seeing a militarized police force and the idea of being pulled over still gets me nervous.   But we had to stop.   Through our very broken Spanish and hand gestures we had a very pleasant encounter from these very human and helpful individuals.  Sometimes our minds villainize people or groups, creating division and fear that holds us back from sharing Christ’s love.   We forget that this is a person too, with a home and probably with a family.   This person probably has a favorite TV show, a dish they like to have on their birthday, a morning routine that includes washing their face and changing their clothes.   This person is loved by God, and just like me, needs to be reminded of Christ’s love practically everyday.


After crossing into the U.S., we drove to Corpus Christi, Texas.   We spent the night and enjoyed some precious family time by the Gulf.   We were also able to visit and reconnect with some of the members of the SOLT order that Maria knew from her time in Corpus from 1999 to 2000.   It was a blessing to celebrate mass with the community in their adoration chapel and to receive the hospitality and have lunch with Fr. Peter, Fr. Brady, and Dcn. Bernie with whom Maria shared classes back in the day.

Our Lady of Corpus Christi


We arrived back at Big Woods in Louisiana late Monday evening.   We have unpacked and settled into our new home (St. Michael’s House) for the next two months or so.  

Once again, I feel like we are waiting.   I feel my wheels are spinning.   As someone who likes to keep busy and is a “do-er” slowing down does not come easy.   I didn’t become a missionary to not share Christ’s love.   I want to go out and do great things for God, and yet God says, “Wait… Slow down… My relationship with you is more important than you doing My work.   Who you are is not defined by what you do.   Your identity is found in My love, in your relationship with Me.”   I am beginning to wonder how many of you must be saying, “Come on Josh, the Lord has been working on this with you for a while now.   When are you going to get it?”

I was blessed by the first reading at mass today, Genesis 2:7-9, 3:1-7.  I was especially struck by the lie of the serpent, “God knows well that the moment you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods.”   The lie of the serpent tries to convince us that we are not good enough, that we have to be better, that we need to do more, that we need to be more like gods.   While we are called to be holy and to share in freely given gift of God’s life and divinity as sons and daughters, we not called to be gods.   I am called to be holy as an imperfect, limited human being, not as a god.   Can I let go of my pride?   Can I seek the humble, simple way of love?   It is better to seek God’s will and wash the dishes and sweep the floor in love and humility then to preach in front of multitudes in pride.   It is better to till and keep a garden then to be like gods.   I cannot earn God’s love.   There is nothing I can do.   All I can do is let go of those obstacles that hold me back from receiving more of His love…  And maybe that is my pride, that is my compulsion to keep busy, to be a do-er.   Maybe the greatest thing I can do for God is the smallest and simplest and humblest acts, maybe it is just resting in His presence.






Speaking of resting…  Missions is exhausting work… take Naomi's word for it!







4 comments:

  1. This post spoke to me during my Lenten journey!! It's hard to wait on the Lord, but He prepares us for what He calls us to in HIS time. It helps to know I'm not alone in this struggle! Thanks for sharing and please give your beautiful wife a hug from me! May God bless you all for accomplishing His work! ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exhausted Naomi pictures are adorable! Glad you had a safe trip. This is a very special waiting time. There are sure to be plenty of blessings before baby Gehl arrives! Continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your pics, they remind me of the pics I used to take of my son when he was sleeping, I pray that you will have a healthy son or daughter. I am sure the Lord will have enough to keep you busy while you are there. May he bless you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Josh, We all struggle with wanting to do exciting things when we are not.Just being able to have you all together being homeschooled can be your focus. Love you guys! Pics are so cute of Naomi.

    ReplyDelete